Gone but not forgotten: Dazzle Vision.

 

When I first started this blog, I had a number of reasons for doing so. Sharing my thoughts and views on entertainment such as movies, music, tv shows, wrestling and possibly anime chief among them. I'd like to be able to introduce people to new things to enjoy, preferably from multiple eras. For music specifically, I want to introduce folks to musicians and artists that they may be unfamiliar with yet, could potentially enjoy. Unfortunately, over time a lot of bands disband for a plethora of reasons. Whether it be creative differences, a falling out between band members or quite simply time catching up to aging artists. In some instances, the band cease activities at the peak of their popularity and skills and some even break up before their full potential is reached. As the subject of today's blog post, I firmly believe that Dazzle Vision disbanded or rather, went on indefinite hiatus, whilst still having a lot to offer and that's rather unfortunate. 

Much like my discovery of SiM, it was a fated day at college that I came across Dazzle Vision. I distinctly remember searching for new music after listening to SiM, Deathgaze, lynch., DIR EN GREY and others. During that search, a music video was recommended that had a thumbnail showcasing a singing pinkette wearing what appeared to be a school girl outfit. Cautious yet curious, I clicked on that video and that's when it happened. I was introduced to a new, unique and charming band that would become a personal favourite. I must admit, when I first clicked on the video I expected some form of pop rock to play and so, imagine my pleasant surprise at hearing Maiko's screams that were expertly blending with beautiful melodic singing. I love these kind of surprises. 

Formed in 2004, Dazzle Vision were well established by the time I found them. Unfortunately, they were also quite close to disbanding much to my chagrin. They only lasted a couple of years after I first discovered them and I've joked about being the reason for them splitting up. This post is not about mourning the disbandment however, it's more about celebrating the fact that they existed. Dazzle Vision left behind a colourful discography, 7 albums in total. 8 if you count the re-release of Origin of Dazzle, which, came out 3 years after the original.   


What made Dazzle Vision stand out amongst the crowd? The first thing that pops into my mind whenever I hear that question is simple, Maiko's vocals. When I first heard Dazzle Vision, I was instantly drawn to Maiko's beautiful voice. Her melodies are nigh angelic and captivating to the point where it's easy to be smitten. Her delivery is just stunningly beautiful in softer songs such as Starfish especially but, it also acts as the perfect counter to her much more aggressive, passionate screaming. Her screaming is also wonderful as she delivers every syllable like she means it. The emotions she emits as well as her passion really shine through and elevate the music. It's really unfortunate that Maiko hasn't returned to making music as she's clearly talented and passionate about it. Makii from High and Mighty Color came back to music with DracoVirgo when it seemed like she was done and so, there's hope even if it's small. 

Along with Maiko, the rest of the band put in the work to make something unique and special. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what to categorize Dazzle Vision in terms of genre as they made all kinds of music with differing sounds. Perhaps, they should be labelled alternative metal if a label is completely necessary or even screamo rock. The band's sound differs from album to album and between songs but still feels like a part of a collective. Take for instance, the crunching guitar riffs of songs such as Evolution, Here I Am, Don't Try to Fly amongst others. Compare the crunchy riffs to the very soft, delicate sound of a song such as Starfish where it's Maiko's beautiful melodic singing over a pleasant acoustic riff. It's a much more relaxing and calming vibe for sure. 

Dazzle Vision may be gone but they'll never be forgotten. I think they deserve a place on almost any playlist due to their ever changing sound and Maiko's vocals are amongst my favourites of all time. That includes her butchering the English language. Seriously, give them a shot. You may be pleasantly surprised like I was several years ago.
 






  

Comments